This Page

has been moved to new address

"Un-Fried" Chicken & Lighter Mac & Cheese

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
made in earlysville: "Un-Fried" Chicken & Lighter Mac & Cheese

made in earlysville

our family, our home, our food, our life.. all made in earlysville

Monday, March 15, 2010

"Un-Fried" Chicken & Lighter Mac & Cheese


Let me tell you, and some of you I don't have to, I LOOOOOVE Paula Deen. That woman knows how to make a great meal and she never disappoints. I don't think I've ever made anything of hers that I didn't like. She's fabulous. I love to cook and she is almost always my go-to woman for recipes. The only problem is she's not exactly known for her low calorie meals. I am trying to lose the last 20 pounds of baby weight (OK, maybe the pre-baby weight) so I am trying to cut calories in addition to exercising like "they" tell you to do. Paula's son, Bobby Deen, has come up with some lower calorie takes on her recipes and so far they've been great!

Here's what we had for dinner last night:

"Un-Fried Chicken"
Adapted from Bobby Deen
Makes 2 servings (but you can double/triple/whatever the recipe)

2 8oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed of all fat and cut in half
1/2 tsp Paula Deen House Seasoning (see below)
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
Zest and juice of 1 lemon (I used 2 tbsp bottled and no zest... I know, tisk tisk, but it was fine!)
1 egg white
1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 1/4 cup cornflake crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease shallow baking pan (I used Pam and a 9x13 glass casserole dish).

Sprinkle chicken with House Seasoning. Combine mayo, lemon juice (and zest if using), egg white, and hot sauce in medium bowl.* Add the chicken, toss to coat.

Place cornflakes and a small shallow pan and crunch with your hands. Dip chicken in the crumbs and cover all sides. Place in baking pan and spray very lightly with nonstick spray (I used Pam).

Bake until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Do not turn.

*This will give you much more than you will need for 2 chicken breasts but it's far easier than splitting an egg white, trust me, I found out the hard way.


Paula Deen House Seasoning

1 cup salt
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix to combine. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.



Lighter Mac & Cheese
Adapted from Bobby Deen
Makes about 4 servings

2 cups cooked multigrain elbow macaroni, drained
1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fat free milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/8 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 cup panko (or regular/seasoned/whatever) bread crumbs
1-2 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 8x8 casserole dish with nonstick spray.

Put boiled & drained macaroni into casserole dish and add cheese while still hot.

Combine milk, egg, sour cream, mustard salt and cayenne in small bowl. Add mixture to casserole dish and stir to combine.

Combine bread crumbs and olive oil in small bowl. Sprinkle crumb mixture over macaroni and lightly spray with nonstick spray.

Bake until macaroni is hot and topping is golden, about 20-30 minutes (just check it).



I promise, none of this even resembled healthy or diet food. It was SO good and I'm making it again Thursday!



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home